Sunday, June 16, 2013

Portraits

I knew I wanted to really challenge myself in this project because portraits are typically my forte. I struggled to come up with a group of people who would push me outside of my comfort zone while not putting me in any danger. I came up with the idea of photographing individuals who we see everyday but don't necessarily engage with. So I asked myself who these people are to me. Almost every day I go to the gas station to get a beverage and snack. I see many of the same people behind the counter but I rarely take the opportunity to speak with them and get to know them. So that's what I did. I spent, on average, half an hour with 12 gas station attendants all over utah county. I learned so much about these people. We laughed and connected on a level that I never would have strived for without this assignment. It was a truly rewarding challenge.











No comments:

Post a Comment